Nourish: Zucchini Salad
October 18, 2023
As the seasons transition and root vegetables start to take center stage at our markets, we like to make this fresh and raw salad to brighten up our meal routine.
As always, our NOURISH recipes highlight simple yet beautiful ways to care for ourselves. This salad is unfussy, nutrient rich, and endlessly customizable. If you don’t have walnuts, substitute almonds or toasted bread crumbs if you’re allergic to nuts. You can use hard shaved cheeses like parmesan for a depth of flavor or a tangy feta or fresh cheese for richness. Swap out the basil for tarragon, parsley, or dill.
We love zucchini for its adaptable and shape shifting nature. If you have one handy, we suggest you use a mandolin to get long, even ribboned slices. Another tip is to buy zucchinis that have less curve to them – this will allow you to maximize each slice and avoid nubby ends.
On top of everything, this dish keeps well. It might be even better once the juices have set in. Add cous cous or lentils to leftovers for a hearty side dish later.
Whatever the case, just have fun with it.
Zucchini Salad Recipe
- 2 medium zucchinis - sliced vertically into long strips
- 3 Tbsp toasted walnuts - crushed
- 2 Tbsp cheese of your choice
- 4 leave fresh basil (julienned)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- zest and juice from a lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place zucchini gently on a plate, dress it with the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Add lemon zest on top and grate over fresh cheese of your choice.
- Roughly tear some basil leaves over the zucchini and top with walnuts